OARSI offers travel awards to attend the annual congress and also provides OARSI scholarships that allow young researchers to work at different national and international institutions for 2-3 months.
Additionally, various other organizations can provide funding in the form of fellowships, project grants, studentships and travel awards. Some of these are listed below.
Sources of funding in the U.S.
- Community of Science - Searchable database of funding sources, includes government and foundations
- NIH (National Institutes of Health)
- NIH weekly updates listserve
- NIAMS (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases) - Basic and clinical arthritis research
- NIAID (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases) - Also support immunology research
- NIH Loan Repayment Program - For clinical researchers with educational loans
- U.S. Government grants - Includes government agencies like CDC, AHRQ
- National Science Foundation - Basic sciences research
- The Arthritis Foundation - Revolving awards, includes post-doc funding, established researchers, and career development awards
- US Bone and Joint Decade - Mentoring workshops, links to other sources
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation - For surgeons interested in research
- International Cartilage Repair Society - Travel fellowships
- Arthritis National Research Foundation
Sources of funding in the UK
- The Academy of Medical Sciences - Offers mentorship, a national clinical scientist fellowship and travel awards between the UK and Middle East.
- Arthritis Research UK - Clinical and basic science funding covering PhD studentships, fellowships and educational grants.
- Biochemical Society - Travel awards and PhD Studentships
- Biotechnology and Biology Research Sciences Council - Grants, fellowships, studentships
- British Orthopaedic Research Society - Travelling fellowships
- British Orthopaedic Association - Research grants for clinicians
- British Society for Matrix Biology - Travel awards and bursaries
- British Society for Rheumatology
- Bupa Foundation - Research grants in surgery and preventative health.
- The Canon Foundation - Research Fellowships between Japan and Europe
- The Chartered Society for Physiotherapy - Funding for formal education programmes and travel
- Chronic Disease Research Foundation - Postgraduate, Project and Travel funding for research into the genetic cause of ageing-related diseases.
- The Dunhill Medical Trust - Grants and fellowships for ageing-related research
- European Calcified Tissue Society - Travel awards, fellowships, exchange grants and studentships.
- GlaxoSmithKline - Research support through sponsorship and collaboration
- International Bone Research Association - Research support through sponsorship and collaboration
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science - Fellowship funding for collaborative work with research groups in Japan
- The Leverhulme Trust - Fellowships, project grants and travel awards.
- The Medical Research Council - Grants, studentships and fellowships.
- National Institute for Health Research - Grants for health related research
- The Royal Society - Fellowships and travel awards
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh - Small research grants, training fellowships, research fellowships and travel awards
- Royal College of Surgeons of England - Scholarships for medical students to continue their studies, training fellowships, research fellowships, grants and travel awards
- Society of Radiographers
Fellowship and Research Funding
- The Wellcome Trust - Research support, equipment, fellowships, travel, studentships and undergraduate awards
- Institutional - Don’t forget to check with your own institutions, as there are often internal funding opportunities!
Other helpful websites
- Clinical Academic Jobs - A complete listing of current clinical academic job vacancies and clinical research opportunities in UK Medical Schools can be found at:
- Nature Jobs
- National Institure for Health Research, RDInfo - Information on a range of funding sources